My research is in educational mathematics. My work explores how to foster and elicit reasoning that can disrupt misguided and ingrained preconceptions about mathematics content, learning, and teaching. I'm especially interested in how creative and multi-modal approaches to math teaching and learning can be networked to encourage conceptual growth, meaningful engagement, and enjoyment with mathematics.
Learning Math with Infographics
This video looks at how question-posing and visual approaches can help learners become critical readers and consumers of data, including through the creation of infographics, in an in-person or online setting. We explore different examples, resources, activities and technologies through which students can develop critical and creative reasoning skills related to collecting, questioning, and communicating data. Presentation for the Ontario Association for Mathematics Education, 2021
Mamolo, A. (2021). Transfer of Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching as elicited through scripted role-play. In (Eds.) J. Lobato & C. Hohensee, Transfer of Learning: Progressive Perspectives for Mathematics Education and Related Fields, Dordrechet: Springer.
Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Sciences MathEd Forum, March 2021
Researching Undergraduate Mathematics Education.
This session focuses on current research initiatives in undergraduate mathematics education. We highlight research in key areas including: instructional methods, student learning and reasoning, teacher knowledge and education, as well as student transitions from secondary to post-secondary. Our speakers include international scholars and leaders in the field, and they will join us to provide a glimpse of the current research landscape and a view toward future directions as they share stories of their work.
Hosted by AMamolo
Read more about my research projects:
SERVICE & LEADERSHIP
Currently, I serve as:
- Editorial Panel member of the Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
- Editorial Board member of the Journal of Mathematical Behavior, the Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education, and Vector
- Steering Committee Member of the Fields Institute Mathematics Education Forum
- Executive Committee member, recording secretary, and newsletter editor of the Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group / Groupe Canadien d"Etude en Didactique des Mathematiques
- Board of Directors member and recording secretary of For the Learning of Mathematics
- Member of the Program Committee for the Special Interest Group of the MAA, Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education Conference
- PhD in Mathematics Education (2009), Simon Fraser University
- MSc in Mathematics (2005), McMaster University
- BSc (Hons) in Mathematics (2003), McMaster University